Programs and projects
Marie Stopes International Australia is the support office for the Pacific Asia region, based in Melbourne, Australia. We manage programs in Papua New Guinea, Timor-Leste and Cambodia, as well as projects in Nepal, Myanmar, Viet Nam and Senegal.
The Mekong Women’s Empowerment Project (Empower) aims to advance women’s economic empowerment by increasing the clinical capacity, business skills and financial independence of entrepreneurial health providers, known as Marie Stopes Ladies, and increasing awareness and access to reproductive health services in Cambodia, Myanmar and Viet Nam. By fostering entrepreneurship, the project provides Marie Stopes Ladies with an opportunity to expand their businesses and support women in their local communities. Empower aims to reach over 700,000 women and girls with high-quality, affordable, comprehensive and equitable sexual and reproductive health and family planning (SRH/FP) education, services and products.
Empower is a four-year program funded by the Australian Government through the Gender Equality Fund and is being implemented by MSI Australia in collaboration with members of the MSI global partnership in Cambodia, Myanmar and Viet Nam until June 2022.
End of program outcomes
- Women have improved financial independence and greater power and agency to benefit from their economic activities.
- Increased utilisation of high-quality, comprehensive, equitable and affordable SRH/FP services and products amongst target groups in target locations.
During the first two years of program implementation, the Empower program has:
- Strengthened the capacity of 377 Marie Stopes Ladies to provide high-quality and comprehensive SRH/FP services.
- Built the technical skills and capacity of 377 Marie Stopes Ladies in business, financial management, communication, leadership, marketing and cross-selling.
- Reached 498,563 community members with SRH/FP information and delivered SRH/FP services and products to 98,139 clients.
For more information on the Empower program, please contact:
Gabriella Saunders, Regional Program Manager- Empower Program